On May 28, 2012, at 6:57 AM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:

> [...]

The problem here is that discussions and decisions are supposed to happen on
the dev list.  With ReviewBoard, while everything does get sent to the list,
the discussion is extremely difficult to follow just by looking at the email.
In fact, I'd wonder how many devs who are on projects that use ReviewBoard read
those emails.  As far as Flume goes, if you take away the Jira and ReviewBoard
noise I'd guess more technical discussion takes place on the user's list than
on the dev list.  Of course, I haven't looked at the other projects that use it
so I don't know if it is the same there.

By the way, if anyone can tell me how to configure gmail to filter the
ReviewBoard stuff so I can put it in its own folder I would greatly appreciate
it.

> One thing I have seen a few podlings do is add a users mail list that offers
> a lower barrier of entry and allows newcomers to gradually become more
> immersed in the daily operations of the project.

IMO, every project should have a user's list, but that is really more for end
users who have questions on how to use the project.

Ralph