On Jun 5, 2012, at 4:10 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
>> I posted an email earlier today where I discussed my confusion over the
>> diversity
>> requirement.  I'm not comfortable doing anything without getting some
>> feedback
>> on whether the diversity requirement, as currently stated on the wiki, is
>> correct or
>> whether diversity should simply be measured by how a project makes its
>> decisions as Roy suggests.
>
> All the graduation criteria are things that the IPMC has previously
> considered important things to consider when deciding if a "community
> has reached maturity" as defined in the original Incubator resolution
> [1]. The criteria have evolved over time and will continue to do so.
>
> That said, I think diversity is an important factor of community
> maturity and should definitely be considered when casting a vote on
> the graduation of a project. The traditional metric of at least three
> independent (active) committers is a good guideline, though it has
> often especially with smaller projects been judged subjectively and
> weighed in relation to other aspects of community health.
>
> As for Flume, you and the other mentors are in the best position to
> consider the overall maturity of the project. Is the project ready to
> function as a standalone TLP on it's own according to the Apache Way
> and the ASF policies, or is there still something that the Incubator
> can or should teach the community?
>
> Personally, based on a few closer looks at Flume, it seems to me that
> the community passes that barrier and I'm satisfied with the way
> they've decided to addressed the concerns that were raised. But before
> casting my vote I'd love to hear your opinion on this since you raised
> the issue originally and as a mentor you have much better insight on
> the actual community dynamics within Flume.
>
> [1]
> http://apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2002/board_minutes_2002_10_16.txt

Thanks.  I think your view here aligns with the way I would prefer to evaluate
projects.

As to whether I believe Flume is ready to function as a standalone TLP -
absolutely yes.  As I have said, the only criteria it doesn't meet is the
statement that no single company or entity is vital to the success of the
project.  I believe the project is still highly dependent on Cloudera. But I'm
ready to vote +1 if that is not considered to be an absolute requirement for
graduation.

Ralph