Here's my take:

As I see it, anything that goes into SVN we need to be sure we have the
_legal_ right to redistribute, regardless of any compatibility or
otherwise with the Apache License (e.g. GPL in our repo is not a
disaster).

It is a _policy_ decision of the ASF that anything that goes into ASF
releases is compatible with, and sublicensable under the Apache License.

So long as it is legal to redistribute them, it is okay to have them in
SVN. If it is not legal to redistribute, we should certainly delete
immediately from HEAD, and whether we do more than that would, I guess,
be up to the copyright holder (assuming they knew it was there at all).

Upayavira