From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:orc...@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 09:28
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: key signing

[ ... ]

I think the fundamental problems are that (1) this trust structure is not
widely understood, even among (new) committers, and (2) the process is opaque
to external parties who might want to know how an external signature earns ASF
trust.  (I'm not certain that there are such folks, apart from security wonks
and vulnerability seekers, but that is no reason to avoid an understandable,
transparent account.)

 - Dennis

PS: I do think one might want to threat-model the existing attack surface and
see what can be done there.  I am not sure it mitigates against malicious
introduction of exploitable vulnerabilities, presumably the real concern.  That
requires examination of a much broader attack surface around all the ways code
can be injected and vulnerabilities passed undetected into an Apache release.
There is a high level of trust placed in the processes used, and it has little
to do with the trustworthiness of digital certificates.