Alan,

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Alan Cabrera <l...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2012, at 12:57 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>
>> Actually there is activity. Only in September 2 new committers joined.
>> Looking at SVN, there is activity too:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/chukwa/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/chukwa/
>>
>> Unfortunately the most active committer - if not the only one - is Eric.
>>
>> For me (others may correct me) a successful incubator project is one
>> which manages to build up a community around it. While it seems that
>> Chukwa aims at it:
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-chukwa-dev/201209.mbox/%3CCAFk14gt_8bwOZ3=2bmmksjmpftovh2_s+ncrya3by9yo4hz...@mail.gmail.com%3E
>>
>> the project has not managed to get a momentum.
>>
>> On the other hand, I saw in the private archives that some legal
>> restrictions have been resolved.
>>
>> Question:
>>
>> How does the Chukwa project want to build up a new community?
>>
>> Personally - if there is a plan and interest to make community work
>> (however that looks like) - I would be open to leave Chukwa a little
>> longer in incubation. Esp. because it seems that committers can now
>> work more freely on it.
>>
>> Maybe we can make up some kind of deadline?
>

> Seven months ago we had this same discussion when I joined as a mentor.
> There was not a lot of activity other than Eric and I raised concerns about
> maybe it was time to retire the project.  A variety of excuses were offered
> up and it was decided to wait a while and hope that the community activity
> would grow.
>
> We even added a few committers a "bit early" with the hopes that they would
> infuse the project with more energy.
>
> IMO, not much changed.  The flurry of activity is from Eric every time a
> discussion about retirement arises.
>
> As for the "now that committers can work more freely on it" is not exactly
> clear. My understanding is that there were some patches developed at IBM and
> those patches are now going through legal.  I tried to dig deeper into what
> exactly was being held up and all I received was equivocation.
>
> Even by the PPMC's comments they obliquely acknowledge that there's not much
> activity and expressed an interested in simply keeping it around with the
> hopes that something would happen; there were no concrete ideas or plans on
> how to grow the community because, by their own admission, no one has the
> time to work much on the project.  I replied "To be sure, the infrastructure
> and administrative costs are negligible.  So, we don't need to worry on that
> account.  However, the ASF Incubator is not a place where you can hang your
> shingle up and hope that someday someone will wander by and be interested. "
> Chukwa has been in the Incubator for years now.
>
> Maybe that's what we want the Incubator to be.  If that's the case then let's
> make this new policy explicit.  Until then, I will follow my understanding
> [...]

Thank you for clarifying. It's good to read a summary of a Mentor.
Actually I think you understand the Incubator as I do and what I have
read in your mail it makes sense to end incubation. As Ted Dunning
said: retiring != death. GitHub might make more sense. When the
project got more community it can come try to come back to the
incubator.

Cheers
Christian