On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Benson,
>
> + 1 for this time line, it really helps to have shepherds a day or two. I am
> sorry I couldn't get my shepherd reports in this time with post-holiday
> catchup and sickness.
>
> I do not want to add too much to the process, but want to understand the
> buffer between shepherd comments and your consolidated summary to the board.
>
> Working backwards:
> * Friday (before the board meeting week) VP IPMC submits the consolidated
> report to the board.
> * Shepherds review the mentor signed off reports and other activity and add
> comments - Tentatively Due by ?
> * Podling's draft the report and mentors sign off by Wednesday (a week before
> the board meets).
>
> I do think we have to leave it to each podling how they work through the
> reporting process, but having a suggested timeline and workflow at [1] might
> help the new podlings understand how the report funnels to the board.

I don't think that shepherds need to wait around for mentors.

Try this timeline:
                   T1                     T2            T3
              T4
                    |                        |              |

                 friday before        wed    friday before                 wed
                 friday before                 board meeting
board meeting
                 board meeting

T1: podlings deliver report content
T1->T2: mentors and shepherds review, comment, signoff
T2->T3: chair summarizes, IPMC reviews
T3->T4: chair makes small repairs in case of last minute comments or input

As you write below, how projects get their reports together, and
whether they anticipate the need for mentor signoff, is up to them.