On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Right now, a shepherd assignment is a temporary job. It starts as the
> reports for a cycle begin to come in, and it ends when the shepherd
> feels that he or she has done what makes sense in terms of reporting
> to the community and, in some cases, delivering some constructive
> nudges to the projects.
>
> I've been thinking about an alternative, but it may not be popular.

Let me ask you this: what is this trying to achieve? What is our
definition of success here?

I guess the 'ideal world' of the incubator I'm picturing is the one where
the structure is flat -- everybody's a mentor and there's also an
'Incubator VP' who acts just like a VP of any other project. Theoretically
you could say that there needs to be an 'Incubator PMC' equivalent
and that's what shepherds are -- but I'm not convinced this distinction
is a useful one. Of course, this is coming from a guy who also believes
that most of the time committers == PMC -- so perhaps it is the same
bias talking.

Thanks,
Roman.