Hi Branko...

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 03.02.2013 21:26, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> >> Just to be clear, in the case of Onami Logging, reviewers are  asked to
> >> find the right package amongst 8 different source packages in 8
> >> different directories.
> > What do you mean with "right"? They all are "right", because they
> > contain different sources and we want to release them all.
>
> In the end I realized that only the -parent.zip contained all the
> sources and was comparable to the contents of the release tag in SVN.
> This should, IMO, be better communicated in the vote announcement.

I agree this might be a helpful detail but not a mandatory or necessary one
as it can be deduced from the structure of the project

> The fact that the NOTICE files in the other source .jars are not
> identical to the one in the source .zip, or in the release tag, is
> (putting it mildly) confusing.
>
> > Impossible? I have to disagree. One can:
> >
> > wget -r -l 1 -np -nH -nd -nv -e robots=off --wait 10
> > --no-check-certificate
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheonami-150/
> >
> > and easily gets all files.
>
> Yes. I'm not interested in checking a lot of binaries. They're not part
> of the release, right?

Well yes and no, what we release is the source code itself, but optionally
and for the convenience of users (developers) who do not want to build the
artifacts from source code on their machines, which can be for what ever
reason, we publish maven artifacts and if they are published they have to
comply to the rules in [1]

I know sometimes checking a release is a PITA process, but someone needs to
do it to get the effort of other Apache Commiters and Members out and to
progress with other stuff, it is a *voluntary team work* effort.

For sure your comments and ideas to enhance, improve and ease the process
of release check, for Onami or any other project in general are more than
welcome, but allow me to say that IMHO it is not helpful to ask an ASF
project team to provide the release in a way that suits every an each IPMC
member to make it easy for them to check

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html