Hi sebb,

there are different NOTICE files for the different distributions, because
the binary distributions are rather framework applications that bundle a
lot of third party libraries.

- The NOTICE file for the source distribution contains the notices for the
3rd party source code and data files contained in the source distribution
and excludes the dependencies. We had to include some 3rd party source code
temporarily, because the libraries are not available via Maven or we needed
to patch the code.
The NOTICE files for the different binary distributions also contain the
notices for the binary dependencies we are bundling, because users of
course need to be aware of any licensing issues that might arise when using
the binary distributions. Each binary distribution will therefore have a
different NOTICE file.

We had long discussions about the content of the NOTICE files. We followed
as much as possible the guidelines on the ASF websites (which are sometimes
a bit contradictory) and also the examples of several other well-known
Apache projects that are of similar nature (e.g. Apache SOLR also has
similar NOTICE files, likewise ODE and Geronimo). See e.g. the original
discussion [1] and the refinements we did after the recommendations of our
mentors [2].

[1]
http://markmail.org/message/rrvpchj7jetn3yj7?q=list:org%2Eapache%2Emarmotta%2Edev+notice
[2]
http://markmail.org/message/tnxoyavqwykgrzhf?q=list:org%2Eapache%2Emarmotta%2Edev+notice

In case you have suggestions for improvement, I am happy to accept any
feedback you might have. Even after several weeks of digging through
licenses and notices, I am still a software engineer and not a lawyer. In
case of doubt, we therefore decided to stay on the safe side and rather add
a notice than forget about it. I don't want any users with legal problems
... ;-)

Greetings,

Sebastian