Hi Ulrich, thanks for replying.  My response will be a little longer here,
but I think you've asked a really important question, so perhaps it
deserves a good answer.

I have personal experience implementing sites with Stuts2 and MyFaces.  I
did look at Click, and I have some experience with Sling, in the
CQ-Jackrabbit world.  Frankly, it would have been significantly easier to
use existing technology than to implement yet-another-framework.  However,
I felt that the needs I had identified were best served with something new.

Two of the needs I had identified where simplicity and maintainability.
 That's not to say that the existing frameworks are not simple or not
maintainable; they just were not so in the terms that I needed.  The sites
I was working with were primarily UI code (JS, HTML5, CSS3), and needed
minimal server-side support.  That is, they didn't need all the generality
and flexibility of a general purpose framework; they simply needed to be
able to post a form, consume a JSON request and produce a JSON response,
etc.  The target audience is not J2EE programmers; it's UI programmers, or
"browser programmers".

An primary concern was the need for extreme simplicity. I wanted to be able
to turn over applications to junior programmers, interns, or even UI
programmers with minimal J2EE skills, to maintain. So, for example a
Pragmatach app uses maven exclusively to build and produces a war file,
rather than needing to run inside the context of server software (Play) or
build with sbt.  It's not hard to find juniors who can use maven, and
deploy a war file.  Additionally, I did heavily borrow ideas from other
frameworks; the use of annotations from JSF and Struts2 for example.   I
wanted to be able to fully specify a controller in a single .java file, so
rather than a "routes file" (Grails, Play), so I chose to specify routes as
controller annotations and then sort them programmatically to produce a
routes file.

Once applications go live, they have to be operated.  I felt that this was
a missing aspect; there was a tendency to just build out applications and
then hand them over to deploy and run, without providing in-application
support to operate them in the real world.  For that reason I included the
Pragmatach runtime console, and built-in JMX support.  I also wrote a
statsd plugin; that technology is becoming quite popular.

Finally, with respect to Click and Wicket, which are both very cool, I felt
that they were trying to be full-featured frameworks which addressed both
client-side and server-side needs.  I was specifically trying to stay away
from the client side, in order to impose no constraints whatever on the
target audience; client-side programmers.  I tried to provide strong
server-side JSON and XML support, knowing that client-side programmers
prefer to communicate with servers via Ajax & JSON, but I didn't want to go
as far as binding data to widgets, for example.