On May 7, 2013, at 4:03 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 5:45 AM, Alan Cabrera <l...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>> ...Let's get rid of champions and shepherds and hold the mentors to their
>> responsibilities....
>
> The problem with mentors is when you have 5 of them it's unclear who's
> in charge exactly.

Why does someone need to be in charge?  The real problem is that we have five
mentors four, or more, of which do not do the job to which they signed up for.

All we're doing is shuffling responsibilities around with the hopes that the
next person will be more responsible than the previous one.

> The goal of the champion's role clarification was to have a single
> point of contact and responsibility for contacts with the incubator
> PMC - similar to a project's PMC chair role.
>
> So basically you have:
>
> A champion, who's a mentor, but also the primary point of contact with
> the IPMC, makes sure reports are done in time and watches the podling
> for lack of mentoring if that happens.
>
> Mentors, who are primarily tasked with coaching the podling.

I'm hearing Benson's proposal accurately rephrased.

We're pushing responsibilities which seemed "too much" for three or more
mentors over to a single mentor and diluting the responsibilities into
non-accountable tasks such as coaching.

What I'm worried about is that were merely shuffling responsibilities around
without really coming to a consensus as to what to do when volunteers don't do
the job they signed up for.  Until we have an answer for that we'll
continuously have this conversation every other quarter as we shuffle
responsibilities around again.

The myth that we seem to be holding dear is that we cannot hold volunteers
accountable for the tasks they signed up for.  Maybe if we did hold volunteers
accountable , they would take their responsibilities seriously and we would
have a clearer picture as to what kind of help to expect as we discuss the
IPMCs problems.

Regards,
Alan