On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have tendered my resignation as VP, Incubator. The PMC has recommend
> Marvin Humphrey as my successor in a motion submitted to the
> Foundation board for consideration at the meeting next week.

Thank you for serving as Chair, Benson.  I have very much enjoyed
participating in the Incubator during your time in office.

Thanks as well to everyone who has contributed to the Incubator over the years
for having taught me so much, collectively; and thanks to the current members
of the IPMC for honoring me with the Chair's responsibilities.  I love my
career as an open-source developer and I'm glad for the chances the Incubator
provides to foster successful projects and make it easier for others to take
the same path.

For those reading this list who are not yet familiar with the role that a "PMC
Chair" plays in the governance of a typical Apache project, the most visible
task is to deliver a report to the Apache Software Foundation's Board of
Directors every three months.  Aside from that, the Chair generally
participates in project development as an ordinary member of the PMC.  Under
normal circumstances, it is not a demanding job.

    http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair

The Incubator is different because it reports monthly and aggregates the
reports of many podlings.  Our report is the closest thing the Incubator has
to a product, and when done well, it offers substantial value by keeping us
coordinated and focused.  However, well-done Incubator reports have
historically required substantial individual effort by the Chair.

My primary goal as Chair will be to streamline the report procedure.  I hope
to build institutions and increase automation in order that the Incubator may
deliver consistently high-quality reports month after month regardless of any
one person's availability as the board meeting approaches.

Some ASF projects elect their PMC Chair annually; for others, the Chair may
serve for an indefinite period.  I have proposed to serve for six months and
then make way for someone else -- both because I have other projects I am
putting on hold and will want to return to, and because experience has taught
me that rotating multiple people through a leadership role enriches the
community and deepens involvement.

If all goes well, perhaps my successor will not have to work as hard as I will
to live up to the standards set by my predecessors.

Marvin Humphrey