Hi,

    The current core developers are all from LinkedIn. However, we hope to
    establish a developer community that includes contributors from several
    corporations and we actively encouraging new contributors via the mailing
    lists and public presentations of Samza.

Collective experience in the Incubator suggests that keeping discussions
on-list will be an important challenge for the prospective Samza podling.
It's much more efficient to just discuss things in person when everyone works
in the same office -- especially difficult architectural issues requiring a
high-level perspective on the complete project.  However, given the history
both the individual contributors and LinkedIn itself, at least the podling
ought to start off with a strong understanding of the challenge.

    The core developers plan to work full time on the project. There is very
    little risk of Samza being abandoned as it is part of LinkedIn's internal
    infrastructure.

This risk assessment seems a tad optimistic to me ;) since I only trust
commercial entities to do what's in the interest of the bottom line and that
can change very rapidly.  (Witness IBM pulling all of its developers off of
Harmony.)  But I certainly don't see any problem that ought to block entry
into the Incubator.

    * samza-private for private PMC discussions (with moderated subscriptions)
    * samza-dev
    * samza-commits
    * samza-user

I'd suggest foregoing the user list for now.  (See
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MailingListOptions>.)  You want highly
engaged users who are likely to become developers.  It's best to keep everyone
on the same list until dev traffic levels become burdensome to users; you
don't have that problem yet.

    Nominated Mentors

    * Arun C Murthy <acmurthy at apache dot org>
    * Chris Douglas <cdouglas at apache dot org>
    * Roman Shaposhnik <rvs at apache dot org>

The core developers may all work for LinkedIn, but that's a good, diverse list
of Mentors in terms of affiliation.  (Hortonworks, Microsoft, and Cloudera,
repectively.)

Marvin Humphrey