On Sep 24, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...So fill the bus with anybody who volunteers? That does not sound
>> meritocratic....
>
> It's been like that for a while in the Incubator, people who sign up
> as initial committers for a podling usually don't have to demonstrate
> any merit.
>
> When the time comes to graduate the podling, it's perfectly fine to
> ask it to prune its list of committers and PMC members in order to
> keep only people who have demonstrated their committment during
> incubation.

When OpenOffice.org was brought to the Incubator there was open enrollment.
There were over 70 Initial Committers. I had no experience with OpenOffice. I
did have an understanding of the ASF. I could help and I did. It was tough to
have such a large list many were OpenOffice.org people who never really adapted
to the ASF. We had all these people on the PPMC. When graduation time came we
managed to reduce the PMC to 25. We left the Initial Committers connected. It
hasn't really been a problem.

My point is that without the Initial Committer free for all I think that AOO
would not be as successful as now.

Regards,
Dave