Hi Matei,

On Feb 4, 2014, at 12:26 PM, Matei Zaharia wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> Thanks for the list, I’m following up with these folks to get them accounts.
> I think some people filed an ICLA but never received an account and were thus
> never added to the repo.

This is a significant failure of the leadership of this project to request
accounts.

The project status on http://incubator.apache.org/projects/spark.html says that
"all active committers have submitted a contributors agreement" as of a week
ago. The project started seven months ago. Setting up the project, filing
ICLAs, and getting accounts for committers is supposed to be part of the
initial activities, not a graduation exercise.

> A couple of questions:
>
> - What do you mean by “does not appear to be a committer” — that they weren’t
> added to the repo?

They were not given credentials to commit to the repo.

> All of these individuals have contributed code, but it was merged by someone
> else.

This is a major issue. At Apache, committers update the repo with their own
code. Occasionally, they commit code on behalf of others but this should be a
rare exception, such as a person from the outside contributing a patch or two.

If committers on the project are routinely committing patches on behalf of
other active members of the project, there is something fundamentally wrong
with the leadership of the project.

Perhaps it is a feature of using git that it's so easy to write code, create a
pull request, and have someone else do the "easy" job of merging.

> - Andrew Xia is listed as having an ICLA on file here:
> http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html

Yes, I missed this. Andrew's public name is different.

There are some folks on the proposed PMC list who do not appear to have been
active on the mail lists, which are the life blood of a project.

I'm still -1 on this project graduating without demonstrated understanding of
how Apache projects work.

Craig