On 19 March 2014 15:05, Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> what has been with the rule that an ipmc must forward the VOTE to the
> incubator pmc when it gets started, and those members can also cast a binding
> -1 ?

IPMC votes are the only ones that are binding.
However, even a binding -1 vote is not a veto - it is just a negative vote.

But IMO it would be foolish for an RM to ignore a -1 vote.

In PMCs that have been established some time, IME the expectation is
that the RM will cancel the vote if the -1 appears to be justified.
This means that PMC members who have already voted probably won't
revote as a -1 even if they agree with the -1 (perhaps they overlooked
that issue - not everyone can check every aspect of a release).

If there is some doubt as to whether the -1 should really block the
release, IMO the RM should follow up to explain why they think it is
not a blocker.

So either way, the -1 is resolved before the release proceeds.