Not saying anything on the proposal itself, I would be concerned because
of the name Silk.
There is this:
http://lucidworks.com/product/integrations/silk/
which is related to Apache Solr and Lucene and also gets some attention.
While it may not solve the same thing, I wouldn't use the name Silk at
least because
it somehow works with other Apache products. It could lead to confusion.

If the podling is accepted, I suggest to consider this before resources
are created

--
  Christian Grobmeier
  grobme...@gmail.com