> On Jan 7, 2015, at 10:13 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 07.01.2015 18:42, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> I’ve written up a more comprehensive proposal that would not only hold
>> mentors accountable but also give them a fair bit of autonomous authority
>> during releases.
>>
>> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MentorRebootProposal
>> <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MentorRebootProposal>
>>
>> What we would gain is transparency and simplicity.  There would be no false
>> expectations.  Podlings would know where they stand.  Work would be
>> equitably distributed.
>>
>> No more layers.  No more additional roles and confusing/diluted
>> responsibilities.  No more shuffling.
>
> What you're proposing, then, is that we institute mentor licenses with
> requirements over and above those for ASF membership. In effect, you'd
> create an additional level of earned merit for mentors ... which is
> probably a good thing.

I don’t think that I’m following.  Mentors need to be members of the IPMC but
that doesn’t mean they need to be ASF members.

> What I don't understand is this: where's the motivation for anyone to
> submit to this additional burden? There's a lot of stick in your
> proposal, but a woeful lack of carrot ... so, most likely not going to
> work for a bunch of volunteers.

What extra burden?  The proposal is not asking mentors to do anything more than
what they shouldn’t already be doing.  All the proposal does is hold the
mentors accountable for their inactivity and to add more of an incentive for
PPMCs to be proactive in their relationships w/ mentors; something that the
PPMCs shouldn’t already be doing.

The carrot for both podlings and mentors is that there is no second gauntlet of
voting/review by the IPMC for releases.

Regards,
Alan