The discussion on dev@commons about coming-to-Apache Commons-RDF
(https://github.com/commons-rdf/commons-rdf/) seems to be rejecting a
Apache Commons as a project - the ideal committer on Apache Commons is
caring about all its components (avoiding the Jakarta pitfalls).

We had not considered becoming a TLP as once the API (mainly a set of
interfaces) is settled, by then it will probably be pretty much a
quiet project except the odd maintenance patch - and also by being a
common component of several RDF projects within Apache, its best home
then would be under Commons (presumably with most of the original
committers still involved).

However the large traffic of dev@commons (~400/month) about all the
other components can be a problem for trying to engage the non-Apache
community around commons-rdf while we flesh out the API. (This has
currently been done solely through Github issues, pull requests, and
"watching" the project).

In a way we are limited by the technology of the Apache mailing lists.
(I know, I know...).

(I mentioned gitlab.com )

The suggestion is that Commons-RDF could be a incubator project, but
with a projected path to become part of the Apache Commons instead of
a TLP.  (I believe this path has not happened before)

So this would be using the old structure of having a champion of
Apache Commons - could this be a workable incubator project?

In a way it would be incubating just the code until API maturity
rather than the community or "Apache Way" as both of those already
exist.

In such an (old skool) setup, would it be the Commons PMC /
dev@commons who would vote over the incubating releases?

Once "graduating" it would just become a component under Apache
Commons and the community would just be dev@commons where the
committers would already be members - the dev@rdf.incubator list would
simply close.

.. and where would mentors come from? Would existing committers from
those other Apache projects (Jena, Marmotta, Clerezza) be enough - or
should it be someone from IMPC or from dev@commons?

See
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201501.mbox/%3CCAB917RLJE%2BgFEpw%3Dyp-c-HpXEnvL12JZLLpc4wphGyjGH_6%3D9Q%40mail.gmail.com%3E
for the whole threads :)