Am 22.03.2015 00:09, schrieb Marvin Humphrey:
[...]
Because "release candidate" and "RC" are specialized terms with
precise meaning at Apache and because we make a strong legal
distinction between "released" and "unreleased" code, this is
extremely confusing.  Having something named "RC" which is also an
official Apache release is... gah, it makes my brain hurt.

Please consider adopting different terminology in the future --
"alpha", "beta", "golden master candidate / GM candidate", etc.

Being new at Apache...how is RC and "release candidate" related to "released" and "unreleased code"?

Normally a release candidate is code ready for release, that if nothing has been found, will result in a full blown release with unchanged code base. The terms alpha and beta don't catch that at all. They are for earlier versions. I did never hear of "golden master candidate / GM candidate". So what is a generally understandable wording for RC if RC is not supposed to be used here.

bye Jochen

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc