Well, for the End User, he/she can not use Tinkerpop+Neo4j without
complying with GPL/AGPL.
If Tinkerpop doesn't require Neo4j and still be useful, then that should be
Ok.
If Neo4j is essential to Tinkerpop, i.e. not useful without Neo4j, then
this is simply not acceptable.

Apache Zest has a similar situation. Neo Technology wrote and licensed an
"Qi4j Entity Store for Neo4j" as Apache License v2.0. And for Zest is not
an issue, since there is ~10 entity stores to choose from.

But may I suggest the other way around??  Can't Neo4j have a Tinkerpop
module at their end, which Tinkerpop advertise to be available for those
that can live with the GPL/AGPL limitations? That would make this a
non-issue, and IIUIC fits well within the conceptuals of Tinkerpop.

Cheers
Niclas

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer