I used to use Apache Velocity. However, it hasn’t had a release since 2010 and
the overall project activity has been minimal for years. As a consequence of
that, and a feature that was missing, I recently switched to using Freemarker
for some templating work I needed to do. The only reason I mention Velocity is
I am wondering what relationship these two projects should have, if any.  I am
also concerned that if interest in development of Freemarker is decreasing is
it going to suffer the same fate?  I guess what I am wondering is if there is
some way these two communities and/or technologies could combine?

FWIW, I’d be happy to mentor this project. If I had the time I know I’d want to
commit, but that has been in extremely short supply of late.

Ralph