On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Konstantin Boudnik <c...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 09:29AM, Ted Dunning wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 11:20 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <c...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Looks like now we can put "git branch deletion data loss" fiction to
> rest.
> > >

> > I think that I am willing to say that the entirely reasonable git branch
> > detail loss QUESTION has been answered.
> >
> > I don't think that recasting it as a fiction is helpful because it tends
> > polarize the conversation by implying that the question was made up as
> some
> > sort of propaganda ploy that had to be defeated by righteous opponents.
>
> No implications of a propaganda ploy, Ted - sorry if it looked that way.
> However, stories about how one thinks a software application should work is
> exactly that - a fiction ;)

Cos,

I am basing my questions on comments you made earlier [1].  To wit:

After a quick walk through the master log I see that a bunch of the
> questionable commits are resulted from the dev. branches histories not
> being
> properly squashed before the feature is merged into the master.

My reading of your meaning here is that histories are expected to be
squashed, thus losing historical detail.

So this isn't a fiction, nor am I uninformed about how git works. This is
about questions that were raised based on how presumably well-informed
insiders describe the process combined with an examination of recent JIRA's
and the mailing list.

As a side issue, I don't think that it helps to describe the other
participants in a conversation with heavily loaded terms and phrases like
"fiction" or "stories" or "how one thinks ... application should work".
Please credit other people in this conversation with good intent and with
technical competence. There are real questions being discussed here and
distracting the conversation from the content-rich answers that can resolve
those questions isn't helpful.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201507.mbox/%3C20150722231648.GU28615%40boudnik.org%3E