On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 9:37 PM, Ross Gardler <ross.gard...@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I do not agree with this interpretation when viewed from a legal angle
> (though I do agree from a trademark angle). I have a feeling that the root
> of my disagreement is the same as the root of Jim's earlier statement
> (though I may be mistaken).

You've lost me already, but let's unwind this...

> There are two points of IP due diligence in an Apache project: At the
> point of contribution where the IP is validated by the committer and zero
> or more people who review the patch. The second phase of IP validation is
> at the point of release, where 3 our more PMC members validate that the
> foundation can legally release the code.

No, 3 or more PMC members make a best-effort that the code meets our
qualifications for release.  Not being copyright and patent atty's, we
presume they did not cast their votes based on a legal definition of due
diligence.

> This means that taking a snapshot and building a release is *not*
> trademark-acceptable since the foundation, through the project PMC has not
> approved the release, therefore it is not an Apache release.

That much we agree on...

Only the ASF gets to say what is an ASF release and to do so requires a
> vote of the PMC. It has nothing to do with the number of changes made to
> what is in our repositories. It has everything to do with whether it's a
> release of the foundation.

Accurate...

> So, in the strictest sense, distributions that make minor changes for
> their distribution should call it Bar powered by Apache Foo in order to
> differentiate it from an official release of the foundation. In the real
> world the question is, from a legal point of view, do we care?

Here is where there is some room for interpretation, the httpd project can
probably be built more than 10^9 different ways (I extrapolate this from a
Chipotle drink cup that claimed the number of permutations of their
quick-service faux-tex-mex menu)

> (lets ignore the fact that some people vote on releases without doing
> proper validation, that's why we require 3 +1 votes, the assumption is that
> at least one of them did the job properly)

Define "Proper", I haven't read that
http://www.apache.org/dev/release/proper.html page yet.

You still didn't comment on the license under which the repository is
licensed, so this wasn't a terribly helpful post.