Hi Incubator folks,

I would like to propose we adopt a mentor neutrality policy for
incubating podlings:

- A mentor must not be financially tied to the project or its incubation
status.
- A mentor must not have a vested interest in incubating, graduating or
dismantling a podling that goes beyond the general Apache mission
- A mentor must not be affiliated with the entity granting the code
(company or original project community)

Furthermore, I would like to see this extended to votes on graduating or
retiring podlings, so that only people with no organizational (aparty
from the ASF) or financial ties to the project (or the companies behind
it) can cast a binding vote on graduation or retirement.

This would essentially mean:

- If you work for a company (or are hired as consultant/advisor) that is
entering a project into incubation, you cannot mentor it nor vote
for/against its incubation, graduation or retirement.
- If you are a in the original community behind the project, you cannot
mentor it nor vote for/against it.

I believe this would create a neutral mentorship whose sole mission is
to guide podlings with the interests of the ASF in mind.

Please do discuss this. If there is (mostly) positive feedback, I would
like to, at some point, have a vote on including this in the Incubator
policy. I realize this would cut down on the number of potential
mentors, and I would ask that more people step up to the challenge of
mentoring if adopted.

With regards,
Daniel