On 14/10/2015 21:07, Dave Birdsall wrote:

<snip/>

> Now, the iCLA form itself asks for the preferred apache ID. But that form
> does not ask about forwarding e-mail ID. Too, the receipt of the iCLA is
> forwarded to the podling’s private list, but not the iCLA itself.

The CLA form [1] includes e-mail address and it is not marked as
optional. What am I missing?

> Also, the committer accept template makes no mention of providing a
> forwarding e-mail address.

It should be easy to change that to make it clear that any field not
marked as optional is mandatory.

> So, the mentor has to ask. And the mentor often doesn’t have an e-mail
> address for the new person. So that request has to be relayed through the
> podling PMC private list, and someone there who knows the individual can
> ask.

Mentor's should have access to the part of svn where the CLAs are filed
so they should be able to get the e-mail address from the CLA.

Also, the invited committer will have replied to the private list from a
valid e-mail address and the mentors will be subscribed to the private
list. So they already know the e-mail address for the new committer.
Again, I feel I am missing something. I don't see where / how the
disconnect you describe is happening.

Mark

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf