Jira issues are (IMO) a bit too passive to be focal points for community
interaction.

The *active* process of an email arriving in your inbox? Much better for
enabling community members to participate. And a uniform and easy way to do
so. Especially against the *transient* nature of Jira issues. If one gets
closed out quickly ("fixing them rapidly"), then discussion is effectively
shut down right then and there. That is not *inviting* discussion, but is
closing it down.

If you leave a Jira open for 72 hours, then it might be possible to argue
for inclusion. But the exact opposite seems to be occurring.

A mailing list allows any/all discussion to remain open. There is no
open/closed status associated with a particular topic.

Cheers,
-g