On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 04:27PM, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> On 11/02/2015 03:57 PM, Patrick Hunt wrote:
> > I see this (the release discussion threads you linked) as a semi-mature
> > community that's well aligned. A number of folks responded to the request
> > for discussion and said they were in favor. It was done on the ML in the
> > open. What more do we want? I don't see anyone excluded and I'm sure if
> > there was a new person looking to get involved they would have been
> > welcomed into the discussion, no one is being turned away from what I can
> > see.
>
> No one is being turned away, that I've noticed, but I really don't see
> how anyone is supposed to follow along if they're not part of the team
> already. I will say that the only Jira I've seen from outside recently
> didn't exactly get a warm reception. [1] Not rejected, just radio silence.
>
> I'm also sad to see that being held up as a standard by other mentors.
> My understanding is that projects should be attempting to create a
> community that is open, and trying to self-perpetuate. Sure, you can't
> do that if you turn people away actively - but you also can't do that by
> having conversations offlist and having an opaque process that newcomers
> can't follow along with.
>
> I'll say again - maybe my standards are improperly calibrated. If so,
> and "not actively turning people away" is the standard we're going
> for... that's disappointing as all heck.

I don't think your standards have became miscalibrated all of a sudden. These
community principles are what being instilled on new podlings by many here.
Hence I believe that a perceived new norm of "not actively turning people
away" should be dealt with by the first the mentors and backed up by the whole
incubation model, including shepherds.

Cos