> On 11 Nov 2015, at 17:24, Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com> wrote:
>

> On 11/10/15, 12:31 PM, "Steve Loughran" <ste...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> * In any project where a significant number of the team members are
>> expected to ship something in approximate correlation with a release
>> schedule imposed by product management, project development decisions are
>> going to follow. Similarly, priorities for weekday work by those
>> engineers is going to be made by other people. This not only constrains
>> what goes in, but providers a motivator for keeping things out if they're
>> felt to be too risky.
>
> I found this interesting.  Do lots of Apache projects have a schedule and
> project manager?  I thought that wasn’t really the “Apache Way”.  I
> thought committers could commit what they wanted with minimal coordination
> amongst themselves without some other person being the gate keeper.  Seems
> like that would scare away new committers who just want to scratch their
> own itch.
>
> -Alex

There's in-house and the ASF releases.

Some ASF projects have a fixed "Release every quarter" schedule and are pretty
strict, others have a "a few times a year" and/or "when big features are in".
The latter is generally more common.

When there's a release coming, most projects have a release manager whose task
is following the project & ASF release guidelines, and, if the release process
the project has includes some beta-test cycle, being the gatekeeper of what
goes in vs. what's going to get postponed.

In house, yes, there are people trying to make sure that we engineers put time
into what's relevant, rather than just what's interesting, and having hard
release deadlines.(*) That's where I was thinking some of the conflict could
arise: internal pressure to release with a set of features on a hard deadline.

-Steve

(*) But you can still do the interesting things as well, the one thing you
don't get is anyone saying "don't work on OSS code".