On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <c...@apache.org> wrote:

> > For now, I think "meritocracy" should be followed -- when contributors
> > demonstrate sufficient merit, we can add them as committers. Note that
> > there are plenty of my coworkers who have made small contributions in the
> > past, and they aren't listed as contributors either.
>
> So, you're saying that people were chosen to be listed or not as the
> contributors merely by the amount of the code they have contributed to the
> project. Am I reading this right?

As stated in the proposal:

"The initial list of committers was seeded by listing those contributors
who have contributed 20 or more patches in the last 12 months, indicating
that they are active and have achieved merit through participation on the
project. We chose not to include other contributors who either have not yet
contributed a significant number of patches, or whose contributions are far
in the past and we don’t expect to be active within the ASF."
Note that, since our documentation and web site are also versioned in git,
this includes one initial committer who has not written any code but has
been a major contributor to our docs and site.

This is well aligned with the process I've seen on the many ASF projects
I've been involved with. The ASF "get involved" page[1] says:

"Apache is a meritocracy. That is, once someone has shown sufficient
sustained committment to a project by helping out and contributing work to
the project (and the ASF) may be voted in by the project as a committer.

...[snipped]... If your work shows merit, the PMC for the project may hold
a vote to invite you to become a committer.
Note that becoming a committer is not just about submitting some patches;
it's also about helping out on the development and user discussion lists,
helping with documentation and the issue tracker, and showing long-term
interest. "

What we're proposing for Kudu is to follow the above model: show long-term
interest and sufficient sustained commitment, and you can become a
committer. While I appreciate that some incubator projects are happy to add
people without the above criteria, we'd prefer to follow the meritocratic
model as described above.

-Todd

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html