In RTC, a contributor sending in a patch, a pull request, or a JIRA/patch
is handled exactly the same as any other committer. None are trusted to
apply their change, until they receive review and permission from others.
So you would think that "everybody" would get committer status on Day One.
Why not? No effective difference between contributor and committer. "Oh, he
gets a committer privilege bit to apply the change." ... That's it. A
committer bit. No other difference from John Doe contributor.

"Hey! We want to invite you to become a committer!" ... "oh. gee. yay. I'm
so enthused. what a difference. NOT."