As a committer of another "dataflow" incubator Taverna, I think this
looks like an exciting proposal.

Agree on the confusion of the name, and it's probably better to get
that sorted early.

In Taverna we have used the term "dataflow" since 2004, and as a
concept the paradigm was created in the 1960s. So Dataflow is a bit
too broad and likely not trademarkable. Your model seems more of an
Event-driven workflow, as you explain in the paper.

You can do a renaming during the very first month of incubation (which
several indubator projects have done) - it's a simple way to engage
everyone in the newly formed/refreshed incubator community, who should
then feel ownership to the name decission, rather than let selected
few decide beforehand.

In your case you do not already have a single community mailing list
(?), so perhaps it would be harder to do this kind of community
decission as a GitHub issue?

Remember the later you rename, the more you have to rename, like
mailing list address, code repositories, package names, documentation,
website.. :)

On 20 January 2016 at 17:12, Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 8:32 AM, James Malone
> <jamesmal...@google.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> == Abstract ==
>>
>> Dataflow is an open source, unified model and set of language-specific SDKs
>> for defining and executing data processing workflows, and also data
>> ingestion and integration flows, supporting Enterprise Integration Patterns
>> (EIPs) and Domain Specific Languages (DSLs). Dataflow pipelines simplify
>> the mechanics of large-scale batch and streaming data processing and can
>> run on a number of runtimes like Apache Flink, Apache Spark, and Google
>> Cloud Dataflow (a cloud service). Dataflow also brings DSL in different
>> languages, allowing users to easily implement their data integration
>> processes.
>
> In general this seems like an excellent project and a well-thought-through and
> viable proposal -- I certainly anticipate that it will be accepted for
> incubation in one form or another.
>
> However, how does this "Dataflow" project relate to the programming paradigm
> of "dataflow programming"?
>
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dataflow_programming
>
> Besides the potential for confusion, it seems like the proposed project name
> would be tough to defend as a trademark.
>
>> With respect to trademark rights, Google does not hold a trademark on the
>> phrase “Dataflow.” Based on feedback and guidance we receive during the
>> incubation process, we are open to renaming the project if necessary for
>> trademark or other concerns.
>
> If a renaming is going to happen, there are advantages to renaming sooner
> rather than later and sparing the community additional disruption.
>
> Marvin Humphrey

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718