I've used this as reference previously:

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#prohibited

Specifically this sentence:

"...For example, using a GPL'ed tool during the build is OK."

That would suggest that using GPL tools for build and test should be okay.

I'll let others address the distribution of optional components question in
great detail. My sense is this is primarily focused on how "optional" the
undistributable component is.