Hi,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Mitch Claborn <mitch...@claborn.net> wrote:
> ...I've seen a lot of discussion about the HOW in terms of moving NetBeans to
> the Apache project, but not much/any discussion about WHY....

The "why" is that the current NetBeans owner (Oracle) has expressed a
desire to move it here, from the ASF's point of view that's
sufficient.

Contrary to other similar organizations, the ASF doesn't have a
technical strategy and "only" exists to provide a good neutral space
for its projects to exist.

So we're not asking questions like "do we want an IDE" but rather "can
we provide a good space for this new project to flourish here,
considering that its owners want to move".

-Bertrand