I think for external chats we should rather recommend Gitter, which has
open rooms (anonymous lurking allowed) and "unlimited" searchable logs (and
unlimited number of users) and don't require workarounds with a sign up bot.

We did the same for Taverna, we tried an IRC chat, but its synchronous
nature and lack of modern web support meant it was not too useful as we
span timezones across the globe. We tried HipChat, but it somehow didn't
kick off.

Now that we tried Gitter (https://gitter.im/apache/taverna) we've seen a
large increase in brainstorming and developer activity (and have to keep
more of a watch to actively push decisions back to list. :-)). I think its
email notifications is a good way to lure people back (or scare away!).

The downside is that participation requires login with Twitter or GitHub,
which some communities might have reasonable objections to.