Thanks Shane.

I started my career with (MUCH OLDER) markup languages in text editors
where you had special tags for change bars etc.

I agree that source control help diffs for developer while word processors
provide easy ways to show diffs to the user. Wearing my UX hat, I optimize
for users and making it easy for people to document, spell check, grammar
check, translate, etc. Different strokes for different folks.

It wasn't straight forward to figure out how to set up a system for
asciidoc with PDF but that's been done. But, as mentioned, I see an
unwillingness to help contribute, especially from people with tech writing
skills.

I will ask the dev community what they do with AOO, if at all. Thanks for
the pointer.

Gunnar