On 23 November 2016 at 11:40, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> FIWI: these were my thoughts exactly. In fact, for a second there I thought
> that SAP was donating Concur codebase.
> In the spirit of bikeshedding I propose Apache Thor (or Heyerdahl) 'cuz
> you know: raft ;-)

As Norwegian I should not really disagree on that name -- but Thor is
already the name of lots of things, including at least two EU projecst
https://project-thor.eu/ (Open Research interoperability)
http://www.eu-thor.eu/ (Oceanography!)

Apache Heyerdahl..?

http://www.ssb.no/en/befolkning/statistikker/navn says:
> There are 410 [Norwegians] with Heyerdahl as their surname

(>200 meaning it is not a protected surname in .no :)

And 111 businesses - just in Norway - several doing IT stuff:
https://w2.brreg.no/enhet/sok/treffliste.jsp?navn=Heyerdahl&orgform=0&fylke=0&kommune=0

But we can discuss the proposal even if it has to change its name -
that's OK to sort in the very beginning (but is very preferably
community-wise to agree before actually moving to the Incubator).

I think it sounds like an interesting proposal but wonders which
consumers (and potential developers) it is targeting - I wonder about
the strong link to Hortonworks and Hadoop -- is Concur relying on
Hadoop, Hadoop might use Concur, or can Concur be used with many
things, including Hadoop?

I see https://github.com/hortonworks/concur is already using
org.apache.raft (and before org.apache.hadoop.raft) as a package name
- I find this approach for proposals a bit concerning trademark-wise;
but then I didn't look closely if this started as a fork/pull request
for Hadoop or similar?

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718