Sorry for top-posting.

It's always been interesting to me that the ASF says that it only releases
source code, but still has policy about the contents of convenience
binaries such as [6].  So, I suppose the ASF could dictate naming of
binary packages.

I know very little about Maven, but in my mind, the -incubating suffix is
supposed to help warn the customer or cover the ASFs butt or both.  I
don't know if anybody actually points to a source artifact from Maven, but
if the downstream user is being careful enough to work from sources, it
makes sense to me to put in an additional warning by adding the
-incubating suffix to the source package. It says that these source
packages are not like other ASF source packages without having to open the
package.

But for a binary artifact, given that the ASF already thinks it isn't
audit-able and thus not an official release, does the customer care that
the artifact may not be ASF-grade (especially if the artifacts were
already considered open before entering Apache)?  Do they really need
early warning?  Would it really affect the ASF if something bad was later
found in a binary artifact?

IMO, the answer to all 3 questions is no.  I don't know how hard it is to
suffix the source artifact with -incubating but not for the binary
artifacts.  But if it is hard, could the next version of Maven do it?

Also, if someone is concerned enough about the licensing of the artifacts
they depend on to go digging through all of the poms of their binary
dependencies, wouldn't they check the <license> section of each POM?
According to [7] there is a comments section there.  Could incubating
podlings be required to make it clear in the <license> section that this
thing may not be fully ASF compliant instead of having to add a suffix to
the version of their binary artifacts?

My 2 cents,
-Alex

[6] https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-binaries