The single case that I can see for mystery jars in binary form is when a
test case needs to cover malformed binaries or binaries produced on
obsolete platforms (does anybody have a Java 1.3 compiler handy).

(don't answer that, I wouldn't be surprised if a fair number of people
still require 1.3 compatibility)