Saturday, April 22, 2017, 12:41:23 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Note on gradle-wrapper.jar,
> For source releases, we expect the project to be buildable by the user. The
> Gradle wrapper is the easiest way to make that happen. It (together with
> the gradlew and gradlew.bat scripts) ensures that that the build will be
> the same, and not suffer from different Gradle versions being used,
> potentially incompatible. Now, you could write a document on how to achieve
> this in other ways, and deal with the fall-out. But just like the
> gradle-wrapper.jar is committed to the source repository, I stand by that
> the gradle-wrapper belongs in the source distro, as a defacto standard for
> projects using Gradle to build. You will find similar 'bundling' of build
> systems in other languages as well, are they also banned? Or it just
> because they are in human-readable format that it is considered ok?

I'm also interested in the answer for this. Committing
gradle-wrapper.jar into the VCN is a quite common practice (and is
also the subject of some "religious" disputes, because some just can't
bear the idea of committing jar-s). We have run into yet another
problem with gradle-wrapper.jar; there's no license information for
it, or at least we couldn't find it. I guess that will be the real
blocker when it comes to including it. (Or perhaps ASF could make an
exception with gradle-wrapper.jar, as it's commonly known what it is
and where it comes from.)

> Note on LICENSE;
> IIUIC, the source distribution doesn't ship any dependencies (except Gradle
> above), and there is only Apache License to be considered.
>
> As for NOTICE, the ASF documentation you point to, basically says that a)
> don't put in anything that is not bundled (i.e. just about nothing in the
> source release), b) no burden on downstream users. HOWEVER, by excluding
> the list of dependencies that will be in the resulting product, we would
> actually increase the burden of downstream users as they would need to
> figure out what licensing requirements will come out of it all, if they
> choose to distribute.
> Therefor, I would argue that documentation is in this case arguing against
> itself in a single sentence, and think that the approach taken by Weex is
> appropriate.

We do have a different NOTICE and LICENSE for the source distribution
and for the binary distribution, plus one more variation that's
included in the jar artifact (which is distributed in itself via the
Maven Central Repository). That's because each form of distributor
carries different files. I'm not saying that's the correct way (I
don't know... but I hope so), but such releases have passed voting
here for 3 times so far.

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany