Generally speaking, I follow these key aspects:

* Don't put anything in NOTICE for the sake of an MIT or a 3-clause BSD
licensed dependency.
* For an ALv2 dependency, follow the instructions in the licensing howto:
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
* For all other licenses, either guess or ask.

The changes introduced by Meghna Baijal (PR #8873 and #/8876) address some
issues. What I still don't see handled correctly is the inclusion of a
binary file within the source release. Please, address that, and cast a
vote for a RC2.