+1 binding

On 12/01/18 13:29, 吴晟 Sheng Wu wrote:
+1 (non-binding)

------------------
Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking creator and PPMC member

From:  "Kevin A. McGrail";<kmcgr...@apache.org>;
Date:  Fri, Jan 12, 2018 09:13 PM
To:  "general"<general@incubator.apache.org>;

Subject:  [VOTE] Accept ECharts for Apache Incubation

Hi All,

I would like to start a VOTE & I vote +1 to bring the ECharts project in
as an Apache incubator podling.

The ASF voting rules are described:

https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

A vote for accepting a new Apache Incubator podling is a majority vote
for which only Incubator PMC member votes are binding.

This vote will run for at least 72 hours. Please VOTE as follows
[ ] +1 Accept ECharts into the Apache Incubator
[ ] +0 Abstain.
[ ] -1 Do not accept ECharts into the Apache Incubator because ...

The proposal is listed below, but you can also access it on the wiki:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/EChartsProposal

Regards,
KAM

ECharts Proposal

Abstract

ECharts is a charting and data visualization library written in JavaScript.

Proposal

ECharts provides a powerful, interactive charting and data visualization
library and framework for web browser, mobile App and backend usage.

Background

A primary goal of data visualization is to communicate information
clearly and efficiently via statistical graphics, plots and other graphics.

Numerical data may be presented in dots, lines, or bars, to visually
communicate a quantitative message. Effective visualization helps users
to analyze data .It makes complex data more readable, understandable.[1]

Now data visualization concerns mainly about presentation and
propagation in web, ECharts uses JavaScript as its basic programing
language. It brings great compatibility across multiple platforms, not
only in web browsers, but also in mobile Apps via embedded web engine or
in backend environment via the techniques of headless browser.

Rationale

ECharts encapsulates the underlying data transformation, control flow,
visual encoding and rendering, receiving the visualization requirements
with declarative language, and produces interactive charts and
components. We will highlight the features below to illustrate the power
that ECharts already has, and our concerns and our visions:

      User Diversity:

ECharts expects that its users are not only web developers, but also
people with lesser programing skills. So ECharts enables users to
describe data and settings with declarative language, which lowers the
barrier but without losing the power, and benefit to transfer and store.

      Configurable Interactions:

ECharts has provided plenty of interactions and aims at providing more.
Both human interactions and the interactions with upper program are
supported and can be configurable.

      Large Data:

Although the browser environment and JavaScript bring some performance
limits in visualizing large data or performing animations, ECharts have
been adopting various optimization techniques to rise the upper limit of
the amount of data that it can process, and keep improving the fluency
of interactions and animations.

      Cross-Platform:

The underlying render engine of ECharts can be switched between
HTMLCanvas, SVG, or VML, which provides good compatibility and brings
opportunities to optimize performance according to different platform
and usage scenarios. Besides, ECharts can also works in backend
environment via headless techniques.

ECharts can be created using headless browsers to pregenerate reports on
more powerful machines for better performance on resource-limited devices

      Extension and Customization:

ECharts provides extension mechanisms to make new types of chart and
components, adopt other layout algorithms, or even adopt other render
techniques. Various developers have contributed different types of
extensions based on ECharts.[2]

Current Status

ECharts has been an open source project on GitHub[3] since 2013.
Currently it has more than 20k stars, more than 50k monthly downloads[4]
in NPM, and is one of the most popular repositories in topic of data
visualization category in GitHub.[5] And it has been used in many
products of Baidu and other companies such as Alibaba, Tencent, Netease,
XinHua News Agency,National Bureau of Statistics of China, Sina, State
Grid Corporation of China, Lenovo, Ctrip etc.

Meritocracy

The ECharts project already operates on meritocratic principles. It was
originally created by Lin Zhifeng in 2013,adding developers worldwide
and has accepted multiple major patches from a diverse set of contributors.

We will follow ASF meritocratic principles to encourage more developers
to contribute in this project. We know that only active and committed
developers from a diverse set of backgrounds can make ECharts a
successful project. We are also improving the project documentation and
code to help new developers to get started quickly.

Community

ECharts has been building an active community for the last four years.
Currently, the community includes over 50 contributors . The core
developers of our project are listed below.

Core Developers

      Su Shuang (https://github.com/100pah sushuang0...@gmail.com )

      Shen Yi (https://github.com/pissang shenyi....@gmail.com )

      Zhang Wenli (https://github.com/Ovilia m...@zhangwenli.com )

      Li Deqing (https://github.com/deqingli annong...@gmail.com)

      Dong Rui (https://github.com/erik168 error...@gmail.com)

Alignment

ECharts is popular in data visualization and charting on web projects.
And ASF has many famous web projects and big data related projects. We
believe that ASF is a perfect choice to help ECharts project to attract
more developers and have more cooperation with existing projects.

Known Risks

Orphaned products

Given the current level of investment in ECharts and the stakeholders
using it - the risk of the project being abandoned is minimal. Baidu,
for example, is in active development to use ECharts in many of its
services and many large corporations including Alibaba, Tencent, Huawei,
Sina, Lenovo use it in their production applications.

Inexperience with Open Source

ECharts has been an active open source project for more than 4 years.
During that time, the project has attracted 50+ contributors.

Homogenous Developers

The most of core developers are from Baidu, but after ECharts was open
sourced, ECharts received a lot of bug fixes and enhancements from other
developers not working at Baidu. And the founder of ECharts,Lin Zhifeng
still contributes a lot after he left Baidu.

Reliance on Salaried Developers

Although some of the developers are salaried, the project is personally
initiated from the beginning. The core developers have been dedicated to
this project for four years and have kept the project independent with
developers around the world involved.

Relationships with Other Apache Products

There are several existing Apache projects that using ECharts already,
including:

      Apache Eagle
      Apache Griffin (Incubating)
      Apache Kylin

      Apache SkyWalking (Incubating)

A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand

Our interests and motivations are based on the factors mentioned in the
Rationale section rather than the publicity. Furthermore, the brand of
ECharts has been successful in the past years on their own and we would
be happy to keep on this path. We are honored at getting the opportunity
to join the ASF, with the understanding to ensure its brand policies are
respected.Also we expect that Apache brand will help to attract more
contributors.

Documentation

[1] Data Visualization: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_visualization

[2] ECharts Extensions: https://github.com/ecomfe/ECharts#resources

[3] ECharts Information: https://github.com/ecomfe/ECharts
https://ecomfe.github.io/echarts-doc/public/en/index.html

[4] ECharts in NPM: https://www.npmjs.com/package/echarts

[5] GitHub Data Visualization Topic:
https://github.com/topics/data-visualization

Initial Source

ECharts has been developed since 2013. It currently has an active
developer and user community with a codebase in JavaScript. We currently
use Github to maintain our source code and track issues at
https://github.com/ecomfe/ECharts We need to move our respository to
Apache infrastructure.

Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan

ECharts source code is available under BSD-3 license and owned by Baidu.
We will work with the committers to get ICLAs signed. We will provide a
Software Grant Agreement from an authorized signer per
https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant-template.pdf

External Dependencies

All The dependencies are released under Apache compatible licenses,
including BSD and MIT.

Required Resources

Mailing List:

There are currently no mailing lists. The usual mailing lists are
expected to be set up when entering incubation:

priv...@echarts.incubator.apache.org

d...@echarts.incubator.apache.org

comm...@echarts.incubator.apache.org

Git Repositories:

Upon entering incubation: https://github.com/apache/incubator-echarts
After incubation, we want to move the existing repo from
github/ecomfe/echarts to Apache infrastructure.

Issue Tracking:

ECharts currently uses GitHub to track issues. there are more than 7k
issues. Would like to continue to do so while we discuss migration
possibilities with the ASF Infra committee.

Currently the website url is
https://ecomfe.github.io/echarts-doc/public/en/index.html. It will be
moved to http://echarts.incubator.apache.org/ to follow incubator
conventions.

Initial Committers

      Lin Zhifeng (https://github.com/kener kener.linf...@gmail.com)

      Su Shuang (https://github.com/100pah sushuang0...@gmail.com)

      Shen Yi (https://github.com/pissang shenyi....@gmail.com)

      Zhang Wenli (https://github.com/Ovilia m...@zhangwenli.com)

      Li Deqing (https://github.com/deqingli annong...@gmail.com)
      Wang Junting

      Dong Rui (https://github.com/erik168 error...@gmail.com)

      Huang Houjin (https://github.com/chriswong w...@foxmail.com)

Sponsors:

Champion:

      Kevin A. McGrail

Mentors:

      Daniel Gruno

      Kevin A. McGrail
      Dave Fisher
      John D. Ament

Sponsoring Entity
We are requesting the Incubator to sponsor this project.

--

Spicule Limited is registered in England & Wales. Company Number: 09954122. Registered office: First Floor, Telecom House, 125-135 Preston Road, Brighton, England, BN1 6AF. VAT No. 251478891.

All engagements are subject to Spicule Terms and Conditions of Business. This email and its contents are intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure, distributing or copying. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Spicule Limited. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply email before deleting it from your system. Service of legal notice cannot be effected on Spicule Limited by email.