+1 (non-binding)

Thanks,
Dong Li

Original Message
Sender:Kevin A. mcgrailkmcgr...@apache.org
Recipient:generalgene...@incubator.apache.org
Date:Friday, Jan 12, 2018 21:13
Subject:[VOTE] Accept ECharts for Apache Incubation

Hi All, I would like to start a VOTE  I vote +1 to bring the ECharts project in
as an Apache incubator podling. The ASF voting rules are described:
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html A vote for accepting a new Apache
Incubator podling is a majority vote for which only Incubator PMC member votes
are binding. This vote will run for at least 72 hours. Please VOTE as follows [
] +1 Accept ECharts into the Apache Incubator [ ] +0 Abstain. [ ] -1 Do not
accept ECharts into the Apache Incubator because ... The proposal is listed
below, but you can also access it on the wiki:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/EChartsProposal Regards, KAM ECharts Proposal
Abstract ECharts is a charting and data visualization library written in
JavaScript. Proposal ECharts provides a powerful, interactive charting and data
visualization library and framework for web browser, mobile App and backend
usage. Background A primary goal of data visualization is to communicate
information clearly and efficiently via statistical graphics, plots and other
graphics. Numerical data may be presented in dots, lines, or bars, to visually
communicate a quantitative message. Effective visualization helps users to
analyze data .It makes complex data more readable, understandable.[1] Now data
visualization concerns mainly about presentation and propagation in web,
ECharts uses JavaScript as its basic programing language. It brings great
compatibility across multiple platforms, not only in web browsers, but also in
mobile Apps via embedded web engine or in backend environment via the
techniques of headless browser. Rationale ECharts encapsulates the underlying
data transformation, control flow, visual encoding and rendering, receiving the
visualization requirements with declarative language, and produces interactive
charts and components. We will highlight the features below to illustrate the
power that ECharts already has, and our concerns and our visions:  User
Diversity: ECharts expects that its users are not only web developers, but also
people with lesser programing skills. So ECharts enables users to describe data
and settings with declarative language, which lowers the barrier but without
losing the power, and benefit to transfer and store.  Configurable
Interactions: ECharts has provided plenty of interactions and aims at providing
more. Both human interactions and the interactions with upper program are
supported and can be configurable.  Large Data: Although the browser
environment and JavaScript bring some performance limits in visualizing large
data or performing animations, ECharts have been adopting various optimization
techniques to rise the upper limit of the amount of data that it can process,
and keep improving the fluency of interactions and animations.  Cross-Platform:
The underlying render engine of ECharts can be switched between HTMLCanvas,
SVG, or VML, which provides good compatibility and brings opportunities to
optimize performance according to different platform and usage scenarios.
Besides, ECharts can also works in backend environment via headless techniques.
ECharts can be created using headless browsers to pregenerate reports on more
powerful machines for better performance on resource-limited devices  Extension
and Customization: ECharts provides extension mechanisms to make new types of
chart and components, adopt other layout algorithms, or even adopt other render
techniques. Various developers have contributed different types of extensions
based on ECharts.[2] Current Status ECharts has been an open source project on
GitHub[3] since 2013. Currently it has more than 20k stars, more than 50k
monthly downloads[4] in NPM, and is one of the most popular repositories in
topic of data visualization category in GitHub.[5] And it has been used in many
products of Baidu and other companies such as Alibaba, Tencent, Netease, XinHua
News Agency,National Bureau of Statistics of China, Sina, State Grid
Corporation of China, Lenovo, Ctrip etc. Meritocracy The ECharts project
already operates on meritocratic principles. It was originally created by Lin
Zhifeng in 2013,adding developers worldwide and has accepted multiple major
patches from a diverse set of contributors. We will follow ASF meritocratic
principles to encourage more developers to contribute in this project. We know
that only active and committed developers from a diverse set of backgrounds can
make ECharts a successful project. We are also improving the project
documentation and code to help new developers to get started quickly. Community
ECharts has been building an active community for the last four years.
Currently, the community includes over 50 contributors . The core developers of
our project are listed below. Core Developers  Su Shuang
(https://github.com/100pah sushuang0...@gmail.com )  Shen Yi
(https://github.com/pissang shenyi....@gmail.com )  Zhang Wenli
(https://github.com/Ovilia m...@zhangwenli.com )  Li Deqing
(https://github.com/deqingli annong...@gmail.com)  Dong Rui
(https://github.com/erik168 error...@gmail.com) Alignment ECharts is popular in
data visualization and charting on web projects. And ASF has many famous web
projects and big data related projects. We believe that ASF is a perfect choice
to help ECharts project to attract more developers and have more cooperation
with existing projects. Known Risks Orphaned products Given the current level
of investment in ECharts and the stakeholders using it - the risk of the
project being abandoned is minimal. Baidu, for example, is in active
development to use ECharts in many of its services and many large corporations
including Alibaba, Tencent, Huawei, Sina, Lenovo use it in their production
applications. Inexperience with Open Source ECharts has been an active open
source project for more than 4 years. During that time, the project has
attracted 50+ contributors. Homogenous Developers The most of core developers
are from Baidu, but after ECharts was open sourced, ECharts received a lot of
bug fixes and enhancements from other developers not working at Baidu. And the
founder of ECharts,Lin Zhifeng still contributes a lot after he left Baidu.
Reliance on Salaried Developers Although some of the developers are salaried,
the project is personally initiated from the beginning. The core developers
have been dedicated to this project for four years and have kept the project
independent with developers around the world involved. Relationships with Other
Apache Products There are several existing Apache projects that using ECharts
already, including:  Apache Eagle  Apache Griffin (Incubating)  Apache Kylin
Apache SkyWalking (Incubating) A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand
Our interests and motivations are based on the factors mentioned in the
Rationale section rather than the publicity. Furthermore, the brand of ECharts
has been successful in the past years on their own and we would be happy to
keep on this path. We are honored at getting the opportunity to join the ASF,
with the understanding to ensure its brand policies are respected.Also we
expect that Apache brand will help to attract more contributors. Documentation
[1] Data Visualization: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_visualization [2]
ECharts Extensions: https://github.com/ecomfe/ECharts#resources [3] ECharts
Information: https://github.com/ecomfe/ECharts
https://ecomfe.github.io/echarts-doc/public/en/index.html [4] ECharts in NPM:
https://www.npmjs.com/package/echarts [5] GitHub Data Visualization Topic:
https://github.com/topics/data-visualization Initial Source ECharts has been
developed since 2013. It currently has an active developer and user community
with a codebase in JavaScript. We currently use Github to maintain our source
code and track issues at https://github.com/ecomfe/ECharts We need to move our
respository to Apache infrastructure. Source and Intellectual Property
Submission Plan ECharts source code is available under BSD-3 license and owned
by Baidu. We will work with the committers to get ICLAs signed. We will provide
a Software Grant Agreement from an authorized signer per
https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant-template.pdf External
Dependencies All The dependencies are released under Apache compatible
licenses, including BSD and MIT. Required Resources Mailing List: There are
currently no mailing lists. The usual mailing lists are expected to be set up
when entering incubation: priv...@echarts.incubator.apache.org
d...@echarts.incubator.apache.org comm...@echarts.incubator.apache.org Git
Repositories: Upon entering incubation:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-echarts After incubation, we want to move
the existing repo from github/ecomfe/echarts to Apache infrastructure. Issue
Tracking: ECharts currently uses GitHub to track issues. there are more than 7k
issues. Would like to continue to do so while we discuss migration
possibilities with the ASF Infra committee. URL: Currently the website url is
https://ecomfe.github.io/echarts-doc/public/en/index.html. It will be moved to
http://echarts.incubator.apache.org/ to follow incubator conventions. Initial
Committers  Lin Zhifeng (https://github.com/kener kener.linf...@gmail.com)  Su
Shuang (https://github.com/100pah sushuang0...@gmail.com)  Shen Yi
(https://github.com/pissang shenyi....@gmail.com)  Zhang Wenli
(https://github.com/Ovilia m...@zhangwenli.com)  Li Deqing
(https://github.com/deqingli annong...@gmail.com)  Wang Junting  Dong Rui
(https://github.com/erik168 error...@gmail.com)  Huang Houjin
(https://github.com/chriswong w...@foxmail.com) Sponsors: Champion:  Kevin A.
McGrail Mentors:  Daniel Gruno  Kevin A. McGrail  Dave Fisher  John D. Ament
Sponsoring Entity We are requesting the Incubator to sponsor this project. --
Kevin A. McGrail Asst. Treasurer  VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation