If Dr. Elephant *becomes* an Apache project, it needs a SGA. This is part of
the incubation process, although as Bertrand notes, it's good to know ahead of
time whether all of the current owners of the code are willing to grant an
explicit license to Apache.

Please see http://www.apache.org/licenses/#provenance for details.

If Dr. Elephant is only *used* as a dependency by an Apache project, no SGA is
needed.

Craig

> On Mar 7, 2018, at 5:51 AM, Kevin A. McGrail <kmcgr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I do not believe an SGA is needed as Dr. Elephant is licensed under ASF.
> https://github.com/linkedin/dr-elephant/blob/master/LICENSE
>
> Regards,
> KAM
>
> --
> Kevin A. McGrail
> Asst. Treasurer & VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation
> Chair Emeritus Apache SpamAssassin Project
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail - 703.798.0171
>
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 6:59 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <
> bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 12:08 AM, Carl Steinbach <c...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> = Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan =
>>> ...The Dr. Elephant source code is already licensed under
>>> Apache License Version 2.0. Going forward, we will continue to have
>>> all the contributions licensed directly to the Apache Software
>>> Foundation through our signed Individual Contributor License
>>> Agreements for all of the committers on the project....
>>
>> Note that whoever owns the code (LinkedIn IIUC) will have to submit a
>> Software Grant to donate it to the ASF:
>>
>> https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt
>>
>> I think it's prudent to verify that the owners of the code are ready
>> to sign and submit that document, and mention that in the above
>> section, before entering incubation.
>>
>> -Bertrand

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation