Hi -

> On May 11, 2018, at 4:11 AM, Steve Lawrence <slawre...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> The only copyrights in LICENSE are related to BSD, W3C, and OGF
> licenses. My understanding is that it is optional to add the copyrights
> of these permissive licenses to the NOTICE [1]. And it's actually
> preferred to not add them so as to keep the NOTICE as small as possible.
> Maybe my understanding of this is wrong?

My understanding is that the if the license writes that the copyright notice
needs to be retained then it needs to go into the NOTICE. But that is not
completely clear here. [2]

However there is a legal JIRA for this. [3] And this paragraph makes things
clear. [4]

So you are apparently cool.

> Regarding RPM diff, I've looked at the RPM vs tgz daffodil jars and the
> internal class files all have the same md5sum. Doing a binary diff, it
> looks like the only differences is the file modification time of the
> class files--the contents are the same. I suspect the sbt plugin
> building our rpm is moving files around or something and changing the
> modification time, even though the file content isn't changing. We'll
> look into this for the next release and see if it's something we can
> fix. These jars really should have the same hash.

I don’t think timestamp differences are a concern now that you have explained
things. Thank you!

> The other issues we plan the resolve in the next release.

We should discuss the various test files that the project wishes to have
properly relicensed on dev@daffodil.

Regards,
Dave

[2] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices