From: Radar Lei <r...@pivotal.io>
Date: Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 2:40 AM
Subject: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache HAWQ (incubating) as a TLP
To: dev <d...@hawq.incubator.apache.org>

Hi All,

With the 2.3.0.0-incubating release officially out, the Apache HAWQ
community and its mentors believe it is time to consider graduation to the
TLP:
    https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b4a0b5671ce377b3d51c9b7
ab00496a1eebfcbf1696ce8b67e078c64@%3Cdev.hawq.apache.org%3E

Apache HAWQ entered incubation in September of 2015, since then, the HAWQ
community learned a lot about how to do things in Apache ways. Now we have
a healthy and engaged community, ready to help with all questions from the
HAWQ community. We delivered four releases including two binary releases,
now we can do self-driving releases in good cadence. The PPMC has
demonstrated a good understanding of growing the community by electing 12
individuals as committers and PPMC members. The PPMC addressed the maturity
issues one by one followed by Apache Project Maturity Model, currently all
the License and IP issues are resolved. This demonstrated our understanding
of ASF's IP policies.

All in all, I believe this project is qualified as a true TLP and we should
recognize this fact by formally awarding it such a status. This thread
means to open up the very same discussion that we had among the mentors and
HAWQ community to the rest of the IPMC. It is a DISCUSS thread so feel free
to ask questions.

To get you all going, here are a few data points which may help:

Project status:
 http://incubator.apache.org/projects/hawq.html

Project website:
  http://hawq.incubator.apache.org/

Project documentation:
   http://hawq.incubator.apache.org/docs/userguide/2.3.0.0-inc
ubating/overview/HAWQOverview.html
   http://hawq.apache.org/#download

Maturity assessment:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HAWQ/ASF+Maturity+Evaluation

DRAFT of the board resolution is at the bottom of this email

Proposed PMC size: 45 members

Total number of committers: 45 members

PMC affiliation (* indicated chair):
   Pivotal (20)
 * Oushu (7)
   Amazon (3)
   Hashdata (2)
   Autonomic (1)
   Confluent (1)
   Datometry (1)
   Hortonworks (1)
   Microsoft (1)
   PETUUM (1)
   Privacera (1)
   Qubole (1)
   Snowflake (1)
   State Street (1)
   Unifi (1)
   Visa (1)
   ZEDEDA (1)

1549 commits on develop
1375 PR”s on GitHub
63 contributors across all branches

1624 issues created
1350 issues resolved

dev list averaged ~53 msgs/month over last 12 months
user list averaged ~6 msgs/month over last 12 months
129 unique posters

committer affiliations:
    active
          pivotal.io
          oushu.io
          hashdata.cn
    occasional
          amazon.com
          autonomic.ai
          confluent.io
          datometry.com
          hortonworks.com
          microsoft.com
          petuum.com
          privacera.com
          qubole.com
          snowflake.net
          statestreet.com
          unifisoftware.com
          visa.com
          zededa.com

Thanks,
Radar

## Resolution to create a TLP from graduating Incubator podling

    X. Establish the Apache HAWQ Project

       open-source software, for distribution at no charge to
       the public, related to Hadoop native SQL query engine that
       combines the key technological advantages of MPP database
       with the scalability and convenience of Hadoop.

       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache HAWQ Project",
       Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache HAWQ Project be and hereby is
       related to Hadoop native SQL query engine that
       combines the key technological advantages of MPP database
       with the scalability and convenience of Hadoop;
       and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache HAWQ" be
       and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
       serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
       of the Apache HAWQ Project, and to have primary responsibility
       for management of the projects within the scope of
       responsibility of the Apache HAWQ Project; and be it further

       Apache HAWQ Project:

        * Alan Gates           <ga...@apache.org>
        * Alexander Denissov   <adenis...@apache.org>
        * Amy Bai              <a...@apache.org>
        * Atri Sharma          <a...@apache.org>
        * Bhuvnesh Chaudhary   <bhuvnesh2...@apache.org>
        * Bosco                <bo...@apache.org>
        * Chunling Wang        <wangchunl...@apache.org>
        * David Yozie          <yo...@apache.org>
        * Ed Espino            <esp...@apache.org>
        * Entong Shen          <ent...@apache.org>
        * Foyzur Rahman        <foy...@apache.org>
        * Goden Yao            <goden...@apache.org>
        * Gregory Chase        <gregch...@apache.org>
        * Hong Wu              <xunzh...@apache.org>
        * Hongxu Ma            <inte...@apache.org>
        * Hubert Zhang         <hubertzh...@apache.org>
        * Ivan Weng            <iw...@apache.org>
        * Jesse Zhang          <j...@apache.org>
        * Jiali Yao            <j...@apache.org>
        * Jun Aoki             <ja...@apache.org>
        * Kavinder Dhaliwal    <kavin...@apache.org>
        * Lav Jain             <lavj...@apache.org>
        * Lei Chang            <lei_ch...@apache.org>
        * Lili Ma              <lil...@apache.org>
        * Lirong Jian          <j...@apache.org>
        * Lisa Owen            <li...@apache.org>
        * Ming Li              <m...@apache.org>
        * Mohamed Soliman      <msoli...@apache.org>
        * Newton Alex          <na...@apache.org>
        * Noa Horn             <nh...@apache.org>
        * Oleksandr Diachenko  <odiache...@apache.org>
        * Paul Guo             <paul...@apache.org>
        * Radar Da Lei         <r...@apache.org>
        * Roman Shaposhnik     <r...@apache.org>
        * Ruilong Huo          <h...@apache.org>
        * Shivram Mani         <shiv...@apache.org>
        * Shubham Sharma       <outofmem...@apache.org>
        * Tushar Pednekar      <tushar_pedne...@apache.org>
        * Venkatesh Raghavan   <vraghava...@apache.org>
        * Vineet Goel          <vvin...@apache.org>
        * Wen Lin              <w...@apache.org>
        * Xiang Sheng          <xsh...@apache.org>
        * Yi Jin               <y...@apache.org>
        * Zhanwei Wang         <wan...@apache.org>
        * Zhenglin Tao         <ztao1...@apache.org>

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Lei Chang
       be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache HAWQ, to
       serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
       death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
       or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache HAWQ PMC be and hereby is
       tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
       encourage open development and increased participation in the
       Apache HAWQ Project; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache HAWQ Project be and hereby
       Incubator HAWQ podling; and be it further

       Incubator HAWQ podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
       Project are hereafter discharged.