I hear what you’re saying. As a metric it’s better than nothing, but let’s not
assume it is telling us everything.

I believe that asking all mentors to sign off is a change in policy or at least
in practice. (Neither the “Mentors’ guide”[1] nor the “Guide to being a
mentor”[2] talks about signing off.) This could be a useful opportunity to
remind mentors of what is expected of them.

One gray area has always bugged me. How hard should mentors push a podling to
submit a report? If the podling fails to submit a report, or submits it late,
it is impossible for mentors to sign off, and therefore counts as a black mark
against the mentors. I believe that mentors should facilitate and guide, but
pushing and nagging is counterproductive.

Julian

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html
<https://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html>

[2] https://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html