Hi,

> we need to include licenses of all components shipped in an artifact. The
> example just appends all licenses to the LICENSE file including the
> copyrights. Is the copyright required?

If the license include it and the terms of the license say so then yes. This
applied to common permissive licenses like MIT and BSD.

> Shouldn't the copyright be appended to the NOTICE file instead?

In general no, only relocated copywriter statements (i.e those removed from
source headers) need to be in NOTICE. This is usually the company listed in the
software grant to the ASF.

> Also we found that some artifacts have contradicting or missing licenses e.g.
> in the pom of one artifact a BSD clause 2 license is mentioned but no LICENSE
> files are shipped in the jars, however the source contains a BSD clause 3
> license.

Often you find extra things bundled inside under different licenses so they
must be included as well. For example jQuery included MIT licensed Sizzle.js.

Thanks,
Justin