On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 6:45 AM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 2:48 PM Dave <snoopd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I totally agree with you that Docker images should be built from official
> > source releases, unless they are clearly marked as unofficial SNAPSHOT
> > releases and intended for testing. I'm just repeating what I've heard
> over
> > and over again from various ASF members that the only official release is
> > the source release; I'd don't agree with that point of view.
> >
> > I'm curious what "built from the official source releases". Does that
> mean
> > that you must create Docker images by downloading the official source
> > release, verifying it's hash and then building image?  Or, are you
> allowed
> > to build your Docker images from the same SCM tag as was used to create
> the
> > source release?
> >

> I think an acceptable solution could be:
>    * make sure that your :latest tag either points to a Docker scratch
> container
>      or a container that simply prints Incubator disclaimer and exists
>    * introduce a tagging scheme for nightly builds (personally I'm quite
> fond
>      of tagging nightly docker builds with SHAs from your git tree from
> which
>      you build the image)
>    * introduce :snapshot tag that points at the latest tag from previous
> item
>
> I feel that this could be passable for IPMC.

I remain confused on this topic.

The legal-discuss thread leads me to think the current state is:

1. The PPMC release some source code. They may release convenience binaries
on the Apache distribution urls, or in Maven Central (via Infra's support),
and those binaries must be built from the release soruce.
2. The PPMC should not publish software outside of Apache controlled
locations.
3. Third parties may publish software based on Apache's, but they must not
cause user confusion (i.e. respect trademarks).
4. The PPMC may link to the software (including binaries) published by a
third party, but they should flag that it does not come from Apache and
should not treat it as the default user experience.

All of which means PPMCs must not use PyPI, NuGet, NPM, DockerHub, etc.
unless Infra actively support a mechanism of doing so (which they
definitely do for Maven).

(Though I'm confused as to whether #2 is a must not, should not, or can if
they wish to)

Hen