The issue at hand is simply called theft, and everyone (both inside and
outside the community) is most welcome to point it out and ask for it to be
fixed. We thank those individuals who point it out, whether in IPMC or
otherwise, and look for ways to address it as soon as possible.

Fixing this issue is in the best interest of the foundation, the project,
the community, the release manager, the copyright owner... everyone. We
don't push back on this. We don't look for reasons why the individual has
no standing in pointing it out. We don't find excuses. (If we do and/or
continue as nothing happened, we'd just make a case that the theft was
willful and action negligent -- we do not do that.)

So... to be direct -- just fix the damn problem, thank Justin for pointing
it out, and stop arguing.

You may find that fixing the problem requires no code changes. If you'd
just politely email the copyright owner, explain the situation, that ASF is
a charity, offer to promote the photographer in legal notices, you may find
that a reasonable person will just grant you the permission you need and
thank you for helping promote his work. This is particularly true if you
ask for a few photos, out of the photographer's huge collection. It is
often as simple as that. (Try that instead of arguing here, but make sure
to phrase things properly so that everyone understands all implications of
licensing downstream and upstream.)